viernes, 22 de noviembre de 2013

A new menu


A group of creative cooks like Michelin or David Faure offers an alternative menu in some of their restaurants in Paris. They have wanted to introduce in the current gastronomic world some insects as food.  
They have found some new sources of food where, for example, scorpions are the protagonist. To have an idea, these are some examples of what they offer in the restaurant; water scorpion with preserved peppers and black garlic, or grasshopper with quail's eggs. Most of the material and the insects come from Thailand.
They don’t want to use the insects as sauce; they want to make snacks with them where we can appreciate the taste, the textures and the colors of these animals. To eat this kind of menu it’s not cheap, because every snack costs 10€, even though they have succeeded. 

MY OPINION

I have chosen this news to talk about it because I found it really amazing. I can’t believe how a person can eat insects, or what’s more, to pay money to eat a scorpion with some sauces… I haven’t eaten nothing like that, and I think I won’t ever do it.


I know it depends on the culture, because there are some other cultures really different from ours and some countries where they use to eat insects every day, like we eat tomatoes or meat (for example). Even though, I think it’s one of the worse think you can eat in your life, it’s really disgusting…  I know some people who have travelled to Thailand, for example, and they have tasted it. There, it's a typical food and everybody who lives in this country eat it as a meal.  

To final I want say that they also use pate de foie gras for some of the meals, which for me it's really funny and shocking.

CRICKETS= any insect of the orthopterous family Gryllidae, having long antennae and, in the males, the ability to produce a chirping sound by rubbing together the leathery forewings.

GARLIC= a hardy widely cultivated Asian alliaceous plant.

MEALWORM= the larva of various beetles of the genus Tenebrio, esp T. molitor, feeding on meal, flour, and similar stored foods

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24912602




2 comentarios: